The mission of the Instructional & Technology Services for the School of Nursing is to support faculty and staff to effectively integrate technology in their daily projects and courses.
We are committed to providing:
- Technical (David) and instructional support (Joy) to faculty and staff
- Canvas support – Classroom Training and One-on-One Training
- WebEx support
- Faculty and staff professional development opportunities **UPDATE for 2019 – 15 minute Lunch Technology Tip sessions will be offered***
Joy A. Pine-Thomas
SON Instructional Design Specialist
SON Tech Support
School of Nursing Technology Services
The following technology services are offered to the School of Nursing faculty & staff:
- Consult with personnel, configure, support, and maintain hardware utilized by the faculty and staff of the UNCG School of Nursing
- Consult with personnel, install, configure, support, and maintain software utilized by the faculty and staff of the UNCG School of Nursing:
- This includes but is not limited to desktop computers, laptops, scanners, printers, multi-function machines, UNCG Council approved software, individual and volume software licenses, Laerdal simulation equipment and software
- Provide the necessary audio and video support to faculty, guest speakers, and staff for meetings and events held within the Moore Nursing building as well as School of Nursing events and meeting held elsewhere on and off campus
- Provide technical support for classrooms within the Moore Nursing building, as well as the occasional classroom in other buildings on campus. This includes training on hardware, updating hardware and software, installing additional software and hardware, troubleshooting problems, maintaining a position as liaison with the main UNCG Campus Classroom Support Department within ITS.
- Provide secondary support to the lead Simulation/Experiential Learning Technician of the School of Nursing Simulation Labs:
- This includes but is not limited to office spaces, meeting rooms, classrooms, and open spaces in the Moore, Petty, Nursing Annex, McIver, and Spring Garden Extension buildings
School of Nursing Instructional Services
Training & Support Services
Explore the training workshops and one-on-one sessions available to you.
Canvas training and support is provided by Joy Pine-Thomas throughout the year as needed. Please call or email for an appointment.
- Group or one-on-one training is available for the following Canvas applications:
- Canvas Gradebook and Speedgrader
- Canvas TurnItIn
- Canvas 101 Basics
- Canvas course design
- Canvas Multimedia
Instructional Technology Tools
At UNC Greensboro we have access to a wide variety of technology, both hardware and software, to use for instruction and daily operations. UNC Greensboro uses a type of contract called click wrap agreements, to show that UNC Greensboro agrees to terms and conditions prior to faculty, staff, and student using a product or service.
Visit the Office of General Counsel’s webpage to review the list of approved and supported products and services available through click wrap agreements.
If you have any questions, please reach out to a member of the Instructional Technology Support team.
These are tools available to you and may or may not be compatible with Canvas. If you need assistance with any of these tools, please contact the Instructional Design Specialist or 6-Tech.
To make a request for a Course copy, please fill out the following form:
To request changes made to the SON website, please fill out the following form:
SON Poster/PowerPoint Templates (These templates can be modified by request).
Please click “File” / “Download as”/ “Microsoft PowerPoint (pptx) / Click Save File/ Click OK to save the file on your computer.
Please contact Joy Pine-Thomas by email @ firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Below is a link to a guide for Developing Clinical Case Studies. The guide was developed by
Ann Downer, MS, EdD and Sue Swindells, MBBS for the AETC National Resource Center. IMPORTANT NOTE: The authors make recommendations in reference to manual and technical Audience Response Systems (ARS). If you decide to use a technical ARS please contact Joy Pine-Thomas Instructional Technology Consultant on what types of technologies you can use.
Adobe Creative Cloud –
Adobe Creative Cloud gives users access to a collection of software from Adobe systems that is used for digital photography, graphic design, video editing, and web development. Software from the creative cloud is downloaded and installed directly onto a local computer.
To learn more about the Adobe Creative Cloud and how to get the software, view the ITS Adobe Creative Cloud @ UNCG webpage.
Box is one of 3 cloud storage solutions available to us at UNC Greensboro. Everyone with a UNC Greensboro account (Faculty, Staff, Students) has unlimited storage available on Box. All UNC Greensboro users can access Box at box.uncg.edu from any browser.
Box is available with a valid UNC Greensboro user account and can be installed on a maximum of 3 computers (Windows or Macs). There is no limit to the number of computers that can be used to access Box via a web browser.
To access Box, navigate to http://box.uncg.edu and use your UNC Greensboro credentials (username and password) to log in.
To learn more about Box, view the ITS Box @ UNCG webpage.
Google Apps for Education (G-Suite) –
UNCG’s implementation of G Suite for Education. G Suite is a collection of web-based collaboration tools, including email, chat, calendaring, word processing, and spreadsheets. These tools work through a Web browser, without requiring users to buy or install software.
All faculty, staff, and students receive an iSpartan account for access to Gmail and related Google Apps (such as Calendar, Docs, and Sites) when they activate their University Computing Accounts. iSpartan uses your UNCG user name and password.
Additional G Suite Services
The services listed below also have been enabled for iSpartan accounts. You are able to sign in to these services directly, using your uncg.edu email address and password.
The following Google products also are able to be installed and used on University-owned computers:
Please note: UNCG is only able to provide support for the services that are a part of G Suite for Education (Gmail, Calendar, Chat, Groups, Sites, and Docs) and Google +. While 6-TECH can answer questions about accessing the services and products listed above, support will be handled by Google via their online help links within each service or product.
MyCloud is a service that offers UNC Greensboro faculty, staff and students’ access to applications and virtual desktops over the internet. While you can use MyCloud to access applications in computer labs on campus and your office, you can also use it to access applications from your home or mobile devices, making distance learning and commuting more convenient.
To access MyCloud, navigate to http://mycloud.uncg.edu and use your UNC Greensboro credentials (username and password) to log in.
Office 365 –
Office 365 is the cloud-based Microsoft productivity suite that provides access to Office applications (like Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and OneNote) and other productivity services. Information Technology Services (ITS) has made Office 365 available to all UNC Greensboro students, faculty and staff, which provides feature enhancements, cost-savings and convenience advantages for the UNC Greensboro community.
To access Office 365, navigate to http://office365.uncg.edu and use your UNC Greensboro credentials (username and password) to log in.
To learn more about Office 365 view the ITS Office 365 @ UNCG webpage.
SoftChalk can help you to introduce active learning opportunities and improve engagement. It can be used to create interactive elements, quizzes, modules, or an entire course housing a variety of media. This software is integrated with the Canvas Gradebook, meaning that when your students take a SoftChalk activity online, the grades can automatically be linked back to a Canvas course.
To learn more about SoftChalk view the Using SoftChalk with your Canvas Course.
To use one of the multiple licenses purchased by the School of Education, please fill out the request form.
Webex is Cisco’s online collaboration suite, a set of video-conferencing tools that are geared toward various online collaboration needs, such as synchronous online learning, online meetings, and webinars. All UNC Greensboro faculty, staff, and students have access to WebEx. Both internal and external UNC Greensboro users may attend WebEx sessions without needing to log into a WebEx account – login is only required to host (create) sessions.
Users of Webex are expected to adhere to Policies at UNCG. Please especially review the Acceptable Use of Computing and Electronic Resources Policy.
You can access Webex directly within a Canvas course, or by navigating to http://webex.uncg.edu/ and use your UNC Greensboro credentials (username and password) to log in.
To learn more about Webex view the ITS Webex articles.