Joy A. Pine-Thomas, PhD
SON Academic Technology Specialist
The School of Nursing (SON) provides technical support and training and development for the Faculty, staff, and students. The Academic Technology Specialist for the SON is Dr. Joy Pine-Thomas. She is responsible for assisting the SON faculty and staff with the design, development, assessment, implementation, and evaluation of blended and online teaching practices. Some of the assistance she can provide:
- Certified Quality Matters (QM) Online Facilitator (Certifications include: Applying the QM Rubric (APPQMR) /Certified Peer Reviewer/ Design Your Online Course (DYOC) / Introduction to Quality Matters (QM) / Improve Your Online Course (IYOC) NOTE: These courses are offered during each semester. Please check the Workshops and events page.
- Assist with Canvas, Google Apps, and other university-approved software
- Develop technology-related professional development for faculty and students through weekly TECH Lab & One-on-One consultation sessions
- Provide instructional design services to assist faculty in using technology in their courses.
- Research emerging technologies for professors to use to make their courses more interactive
Faculty Online Training Requirements
NEW INSTRUCTORS TEACHING ONLINE BEGINNING SPRING 2020 MUST COMPLETE ONE OF THE FOLLOWING ITEMS:
- Complete both Ready to Teach (RTT) AND the Canvas Learning Management System (LMS) Training. Both programs are asynchronous and will provide a certificate of completion. (Time: ~2 hours each)
- Complete Online Learning Level 1 hosted by the UTLC. (Time: 8 weeks; ~2 hours/week)
(RECOMMENDED) Complete Academic Instructional Technology Consultant (ITC) Training that will incorporate any technology the instructor plans to use, an overview of Course design principles, a general review of the Quality Matters Checklist. This may include face-to-face time with an Academic ITC and Academic ITC directed activities. Upon completion, Academic ITCs will send instructors documentation To schedule training, please contact your Academic ITC. (Time 4.5 hours or more)
One-0n-One consultations are offered to utilize your time for any specific needs or ideas you may have when designing your course or project. If you would like to arrange an individual consultation, please fill out the following form to set up a date and time to meet.
Group Workshops & Training
Workshops and training are offered for faculty. Canvas workshops are offered at the beginning of the semester for new faculty before students return to class. Canvas training is available to SON Graduate and PhD students. The Canvas training for these students will be online using Zoom. However, if you have a group of students who need training on any of the university-approved software or Canvas, please contact the ITC with your request and we can set up a date and time for your class.