Post-Baccalaureate Certificate in Nursing
The UNCG School of Nursing Post-Baccalaureate Certificate Programs provide the opportunity for Baccalaureate-prepared registered nurses to further their knowledge in three different areas: Nursing, Nursing Education, and Nursing Administration. All courses are offered online and are designed for working professionals.
- Students must successfully complete at least 12-15 credit hours, depending on the certificate category, during a 2-year period of time to earn a certificate.
- Credits generated in the certificate program may be used to meet requirements in a degree program in accordance with the policies of the Graduate School.
- To meet individual needs, courses may be taken across all 3 categories or focused within a category.
- To earn the certificate in Nursing Administration, all 4 courses (15 credits) within that category must be taken.
- To earn the certificate in Nursing Education, but NUR 615 and NUR 616 are required, and an additional course within that category must be selected. Requiring 3 courses (9 credits) satisfies a requirement of the NC Board of Nursing to teach in an undergraduate program. To achieve the required 12 credit hours, another course from another category may be selected.
- If courses (12 credits) are taken across all categories or in only the Core and Support category, a post-baccalaureate certificate in Nursing will be issued.
Nursing Administration: 15 credits total – required courses
- NUR 609 Role of Nurse Leaders in Advanced Quality and Safety (4 credits)
- NUR 540 Financial Management in Healthcare (3 credits)
- NUR 644 Organizational Leadership and Management in Healthcare (4 credits)
- NUR 641 Leadership and Management Essentials in Healthcare: Theories and Roles (4 credits)
Nursing Education: 12 credits total – NUR 615 and NUR 616 are required; students can choose to take either NUR 612 or NUR 551
- NUR 612 Theoretical Foundations for the Advanced Nurse Educator (3 credits)
- NUR 615 Curriculum Design and Evaluation in Advanced Nursing Education (3 credits)
- NUR 616 Pedagogical Strategies for Advanced Nursing Education (3 credits)
- NUR 551 Integrating Technology in Nursing Education (3 credits)
Core and Support Courses:
- NUR 620 Law, Policy, and Economics of Healthcare (3 credits)
- NUR 708 Pathophysiology for Advanced Practice Nursing (3 credits)
- NUR 692 Independent Study (3 credits)
- NUR 715 Research Methods in Nursing (3 credits)
Note – Students are not eligible for financial aid assistance for post baccalaureate certificate courses unless they are concurrently admitted to a degree program that requires the same courses.
- Admitted students develop a program plan with the Director of Graduate Study in the School of Nursing before enrolling in courses. At least 6 credits of course work must be completed at the 600-level.
Deadline for Post Baccalaureate Certificate Application – May 15 for Fall admission/ October 1 for Spring admission
Dr. Heidi Krowchuk
Associate Dean for Academic Programs
UNCG School of Nursing
P.O. Box 26170
Greensboro NC 27402-6170
Phone: (336) 334-3167